Monday, May 13, 2013

Heading Out

It was just a month ago that I found out I could have the opportunity to intern in Uganda this summer and it was still about a week later that I finalized the general plan. Since then I have been finishing final papers and exams at school and I have been tackling all of the little things that come with a trip like this! It would be so unfortunate for me to run out of contacts halfway through my trip!

I am writing this post on a Monday and it is more than a little bit surreal to think that I am flying out on Thursday! I have a million to-do lists that are partially crossed off, random piles of stuff to pack and a couple of logistics that are still falling into line.I have been praying for an opportunity to work overseas since last fall and I feel so blessed that God opened up this project for me.

I'll be in Africa for two and a half months which seems like the perfect amount of time to me and maybe a bit too long for my parents. While I am in Uganda I will be working with Breakthrough Partners on their Young Peacebuilders Initiative. In their words this is "[...] a ministry of Breakthrough Partners that is devoted to better equipping children and youth as peace builders in Majority World nations impacted by or at high risk of armed conflict."

For anyone who knows me you can safely assume that I am beyond excited for a chance to be working abroad this summer and I am also really excited about this project. Part of what specifically appeals to me is the fact that this is such a universal project; the ideas and research surrounding young peace builders can be adapted in different global contexts. I know that God is going to use this experience to teach and grow me in knowledge both surrounding this project and in Him.

I would appreciate prayer from anyone who is willing as I set out on this project. I am very excited about this opportunity but there are lots of challenges that come from living in a different culture. I would appreciate prayer for the program, that everyone involved with it would be blessed with insight and creativity to lay the foundations for continuing efforts. I will also need prayer for my contribution; that God might grant me the wisdom and the skills needed for this job and that He will use my shortcomings to display His glory more brightly than I ever could in my strengths.

This last year at school wasn't the easiest year from me and while I was able to learn more about myself and about who God is I am incredibly happy to be moving forward and engaging in something this summer that is life-giving!

I promise to try and keep this blog regularly updated, even if it is just a couple of lines. I don't have a great track record for that but all I can do is keep trying! Hopefully the next time that I write I will be in Uganda!

So farewell North America!! I might even miss you a bit!

2 comments:

  1. JESS! I am beyond excited for you :)
    I will be praying for you all the way!
    xoxox. Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jessica! Hope you are keeping fine and glad you are happy. It seems that you are working with a great organization. Children and youth are the future and Peace can be achieved through them if only those around can work sincerely with them. I am so proud of you. We will be praying for you and your return soon. Uncle Prem & Aunty selina.

    ReplyDelete